Can I use Freenet without Internet?

Anonymous

22 Aug, 2018 02:47 AM

I would love to use this without Internet so I could operate a Wireless mesh network. I could obviously use Cjdns but it might be easier just to use Freenet alone with a Local Area Network if that's at all possible. I can't imagine it wouldn't be.

I would be setting this up with a FreedomBox which I'm quite excited about because I'd like to see if I can create a Meshnet, provide Internet access to that Meshnet and provide a Wireless Access Point for those who are close enough thanks to the Satellite I'd probably need to purchase to expand it's reach.

I think it's a big project but we need it, I think the Internet has lost it's charm and I'm ready to build something new. We have the technology to do it, we've got old technology such as Packet radio which is still working today and now we've got new technology.

Why can't we expand multiple and miniature Mesh networks over time and eventually make it global with the help of anyone who's connected to each and every one of them through the Internet where billions of people hang out every day who would be able to communicate without people outside the Internet.

1. 1 Posted by ArneBab on 23 Aug, 2018 06:43 PM

You can easily use Freenet in a local network, ideally by connecting the nodes over darknet. Then they do not need global connectivity. There were also people who used Freenet over Cjdns, providing strong caching and anonymity to a meshnet.

Freenet over meshnet could be very efficient for content distribution, because it provides a caching layer while needing only restricted routes (so it is OK to only connect to people nearby).

2. Anonymous closed this discussion on 14 Sep, 2018 01:52 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac